Re: [tlug] Dmesg error output

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 00:32:05 +0900
Dave M G <martin@example.com> wrote:

> As for my tv problem, I tried depmod -a, but it had no result.
You mean it didn't print anything?

> What I'm wondering is, with all the output, it seems like there are
> duplicate entries or something. As if a configuration file has been
> corrupted by being written to twice:
There are no configuration files involved.

> [17180144.196000] ivtv: disagrees about version of symbol i2c_bit_add_bus
> [17180144.196000] ivtv: Unknown symbol i2c_bit_add_bus
> How would I go about determining the root cause of all these
> disagreements?
The root cause is that the ivtv driver was compiled for a different
kernel than the one you are using now.
The symbol i2c_bit_add_bus is in i2c_algo_bit.ko, check the module info
on these two modules:
# modinfo i2c_algo_bit
# modinfo ivtv
The vermagic lines will probably differ.

> Since my system was working before, I'm assuming, or
> maybe just hoping, that something has been moved or altered and maybe it
> can just be put back the way it was.
Solutions to the problem:
 1. Put the old kernel back that used to work with the ivtv module.
 2. Recompile the ivtv module with the new kernel.