Re: [tlug] Upgrading to PHP5 on Fedora

On Fri, 2006-06-16 at 00:07 +0900, Dave M G wrote:
> TLUG,
>
> My hosting service allows me enough access to do things like handle my
> own upgrades and full administrative access. Usually, because I am more
> of a web designer than an server administrator, I get their support
> staff to manage upgrades and installations.
>
> However, that does cost money, so I thought this time, if it's easy
> enough, I would try upgrading PHP myself. Currently my hosting service
> is running PHP Version 4.4.2, and I would like to upgrade to the latest
> stable build of PHP 5.
>
> At home, I use Ubuntu LTS, and to upgrade to PHP 5 I just used apt-get
> (with the Synaptic GUI) to upgrade. It was very easy.
>
> The hosting machine is using Fedora Core 1. I'm less familiar with Red
> Hat systems, but I do understand that yum is the equivalent of apt-get.
>
> So, I'm hoping I can just do:
>
> yum install php5
>
> ... and be off and running.
>
> But because I don't really want to suffer any downtime, I hoped to get
> confirmation here on this list that this will work, and check if I need
> any other configuration options.
>
> If it makes a difference, I'm also running MySQL 5.0 on the system, and
> Apache 2.
>
> Is there anything else I need to know for a smooth upgrade to PHP 5?
>
> --
> Dave M G

Dave you say you are running FC1 but MySQL 5.0 also..... I believe Red
Hat (Fedora) closed the repo for updates on FC2 last year. I think if
you are running FC1 you will need to install from source or rpm.
If you do this command it will tell you what version of kernel and where
it came from.
# uname -a
I get:
# my host name  2.6.15-1.1833_FC4 #1 Wed Mar 1 23:41:37 EST 2006 i686
i686 i386 GNU/Linux

But even still I can not upgrade to MySQL 5.0 from yum so they (who ever
did your upgrade of MySQL) probably installed just the RPMs.... you can
check this with this command if it does not return anything then you
have to check your src dirs for the sources they used to install it.

# rpm -qa mysql -i
I get:
Name        : mysql                        Relocations: (not
relocatable)
Version     : 4.1.20                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 1.FC4.1                       Build Date: Sat 03 Jun 2006
12:30:08 AM JST
Etc.

Finally I do know that if you install php from source you can configure
apache so you can use both versions..... but it has been some time since
I had to do that so I cant give you the commands all I can say is google
it and you will come up with something.

Regards,

E./