Re: [tlug] Not understanding how updated kernels work

On Tue, 25 Apr 2006 08:49:42 -0400, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:

> > So, what's the deal with any updates now that I'm using 2.6.8.1-16.20,
> > since 2.6.8.1-16.21 doesn't work with my graphics card?
>
> After a few rounds of proprietary driver musical chairs,
> you'll be sitting on the floor. That's the deal.

Either that or go with a vanilla Linux kernel which you'd build yourself.
FWIW, 2.6.8.1 is rather outdated.

If you build the kernel from source and then follow the instruction on
NVidia's site (IIRC there's an open-source part that hooks into the kernel
on one side and into their proprietary modules on the other), it should
work.

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Only adults have difficulty with childproof caps.