Re: [tlug] Need purchasing advice for a linux compatible desktop

Again, I'm sorry that this post is not threaded where it should be, but...

I read all the messages that were sent and I'm keeping a careful note of all the advice that I can understand. About  1/3 of it I don't get, but that's okay.  I just skip it and assume that someone out there understands, and the experts are exchanging tips with each other.

Edward:
One thing to note about
Users Side is that they won't give you more then a years warranty.
dospara will give you 3 years if you pay extra.
Joe:
I want the 3 years, so now I'm leaning towards Dospara, keeping in mind that I'll have to know (roughly?) what I want before I go.  I might go to Users Side just out of curiosity.  I was only lucky enough once to find a Linux guy at a big electronics and computer store.  He said he "built" Linux computers, but even he couldn't tell me which hardware to buy at his store.

And I'm not going to get a Dell this time.  It will be a purely Linux system, with no Windows on it, at least initially, but the Xen thing sounds wonderful, so I'll try to get something that is Windows compatible (which shouldn't be hard I guess?), so that I can some day have Windows and Linux running simultaneously.

The message in which the passage below appeared I looked for just now, but couldn't find it and can't remember who wrote it:
   I encourage you to buy the hardware that will let you run
   Linux and (unmodified) Windows under Xen.

I'm wondering now though, if I want to do Xen some day, is it as simple as buying a computer whose hardware is all both Windows and Linux-compatible?  Is it that easy?

There were a lot of other helpful messages that I learned from, but these were 2 that helped me narrow down the options a lot.

Thanks to all.
Joe