[tlug] international email with Gnus

Tlug,

Someone mentionned emacs planner mode a few weeks (months?) ago, and I
liked what I saw, so last week I decided that I would try out emacs.

I am now configuring Gnus for e-mail sending/receiving through
Gmail. That configuration was no problem and is based on Josh Glover's
quick and dirty guide for gmail mail in mutt [1].

I tried to send an email with french accents and Japanese characters to
a friend, and it rightly selected utf-8. However,
content-transfer-encoding was set to 8-bit:

Is that safe? (my memory tells me no but I am not sure)

How can I check and refine the selected encoding and content-transfer-encoding
before sending?

thanks,

Evan

[1] http://www.qnd-guides.org/qnd-gmail.html