[tlug] Thanks-- for tip of the day

>    1. Tip O' the Day: Getting an installed package list on Debian
>       (Charles Muller)

>     dpkg -l | awk '/^ii/{print $2, $3}'

Thanks.

I think this is a perfect little example of the simple elegance of Linux
style pipelines and small is beautiful in programming. Now I have a
complete list of my packages and can re-create my system, even if I
forgot to write down what I have installed.

The down side of this small but "impossible if you don't know" is that
it took me hours of bumbling around before I realized that to burn cd's
with my barebones Debian/Sarge I had to tell cdrecord dev=ATAPI:0,0,0
instead of just 0,0,0. Go google! (I forgive them their political
trespasses, if that is what they are.)

David Riggs

David Riggs