[tlug] Runaway iiimfd

G'day All,

I've been horribly busy the last few months and haven't even had time
to read the TLU digests, so I feel bad about popping a question.

Anyway, I am finally moved over to my new Thinkpad R50e running Fedora
Core 4. My aim to to get as much of my olde (RH7.3) environment across
as possible, then gradually  upgrade to new things.

The most urgent problem is that the iiimfd daemon, which came with FDC4,
seems to be interacting badly with the Firefox 1.04 which also came with
FDC4. Every so often, while clicking on a link or the Back arrow in
Firefox, everything freezes while kswap0 frantically pounds the disk
and iiimfd swells until  it takes my whole 1Gb of swap. Once I was
able to kill it, but other times I couldn't and had to power down.

For now I have turned the daemon off as I need a browser more than an
IME, but has anyone heard of this problem or able to suggest anything?

Cheers

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554