Re: [tlug] unicode and Perl- how to pass command line unicodearguments

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Ian> On 13/02/06, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:
>
>     >> It's probably possible to program in this style in Perl, too,
>     >> but Perl believes that anything that can't be implicit should
>     >> be made so obscure that it might as well be implicit---it won't
>     >> be pleasant. ;-)
>
>     Ian> Seems unnecessarily complicated to worry about which type
>     Ian> your variable is like that.
>
> It's necessary.
>
>     Ian> Works in my head, anyway.  Admittedly, I've never seen anyone
>     Ian> pass unicode parameters before, so that's a new problem...
>
> To you.  I've been dealing with such problems for 15 years.

:)

my general rule is:

everything that enters my program has to be EXPLICITLY converted to
unicode-representation (with EXPLICITLY defining the charset).

everything that leaves my program has to be EXPLICITLY converted to
bytestring-representation (with EXPLICITLY defining the charset)>

all internal string manipulation should happen on unicode strings.

this usually is enough to make things work

gabor