[tlug] Kanji file names, reading Mac OS X/Darwin file names in Linux

 >From: Jake Morrison <jake@example.com> Subject:
 >Assuming that the Japanese filenames on the disk are readable from OS
 >X...  you need to figure out what extensions were used to write them.
 >Joliet stores the filenames in Unicode format.
 >
 >You can get them converted to another character set by specifying
 >options when you mount the CD-ROM on the Linux side.
 >
 >See this page for details:
 >
 >   http://bmrc.berkeley.edu/people/chaffee/joliet.html
 >
 >Jake

Thanks Jake-- the file names were quite visible when we wrote the CD on
the Mac OS X system. The suggested page does not address this question,
exactly. I have no problem with the file contents (which are sjis). But,
any part of the file name that is kanji is blotted out with a substitute
underscore (the ascii names are OK). The CD was written on OS X without
any special setup by the user, just drag to the CD and eject/write.

The kanji part of the file names are obliterated no matter what kind of
mount options I try in Linux, or changes in emacs file-name encoding.

If you could tell me a mount option that works for you to read kanji
file names on an OS X written CD, I would be grateful!

I hope to hear from you or Stephen.

David Riggs