Re: [tlug] Editing Soud Files (WAV & MP3)

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:02:53 +0900, "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon"
<ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:

> Up until now, all of the programs I've gotten into the files with were
> installed by me in my Home/User folder - sorry for the horrible
> basicness of this question, but which folder should I be looking in?

Right. I take it you're unaware that '~' in Unix-parlance means $HOME,
right?

~/.audacity is the (hidden) file called '.audacity' in your home directory.

> Wait!  Wait!  Wait!  I found it!  Just for other newbie bozos like
> myself out there, here's how I found it:
>
> 1) In Konqueror, I set "View" to "Show Hidden Files".
>
> 2) In my Home/User folder, I found the file ".audacity"

Wow! You have to do all that to see a file? As I said earlier, this would
have given you the same information:

$ grep ^TempDir ~/.audacity

> Does this mean that the program doesn't clean out that temporary file
> when it's shut down?  So I have to either delete it manually each time
> or just leave the program open?

It should do - it always does here. Something else must have happened,
maybe some kind of teething problem related to the first use of the
software.

> Now to try out editing that audio file again....  I take it the format
> isn't important?  I can edit wav, mp3 or ogg no problem?  I'm attempting
> to edit wave at the moment.

Actually, you're editing audacity's native format. audacity imports most
audio formats and converts them internally before you start work on them.
Once you're done you can either save the project as-is or you can export to
a different format such as WAV, MP3, OGG, AU etc...

--
G. Stewart - godwin.stewart@example.com

Just remember, if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.