Re: [tlug] Editing Soud Files (WAV & MP3)

Godwin Stewart wrote:

>On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 22:23:07 +0900, "Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon"
><ronfaxon@example.com> wrote:
>
>> closed the program, but when I attempt to restart it, I get an
>>error message saying that it's already running.
>>

>Look in audacity's temp workspace directory (default is ~/.audacity_temp
>IIRC, but you can `grep ^TempDir ~/.audacity`). There will be a file called
>audacity-lock-$username in there. rm it.

Up until now, all of the programs I've gotten into the files with were
installed by me in my Home/User folder - sorry for the horrible
basicness of this question, but which folder should I be looking in?

Wait!  Wait!  Wait!  I found it!  Just for other newbie bozos like
myself out there, here's how I found it:

1) In Konqueror, I set "View" to "Show Hidden Files".

2) In my Home/User folder, I found the file ".audacity"

3) Opening that, I saw a file that begins with: Version=1.2.3,
PrefsVersion=1.1.1r1, etc. etc. and a few lines down
has: [Directories], TempDir=/tmp/audacity1.2-user, etc. etc.

4) I went to /tmp/audacity1.2-user and had a look inside.

5) Figuring the "audacity-lock-user" file would be disposable by
definition since it was in a temporary file, I deleted it.

6) Audacity opened with no problem.  Yah!

Does this mean that the program doesn't clean out that temporary file
when it's shut down?  So I have to either delete it manually each time
or just leave the program open?

Now to try out editing that audio file again....  I take it the format
isn't important?  I can edit wav, mp3 or ogg no problem?  I'm attempting
to edit wave at the moment.

Lyle