Re: [tlug] TODO extension for source code and Emacs

    Ian> 1. Emacs stays open all the time and for long periods
    Ian> although I don't quite see how this relates to what I was
    Ian> saying.  No, I don't keep all my project's files open all at
    Ian> the same time, and yes, I do kill buffers occasionally.

Everything I've worked on recently is in a buffer, so M-x occur
catches everything relevant.  See next point.

    Ian> 2. I still don't see what occur does that M-x grep doesn't do better.

It depends on whether you want a complete TODO of everything in the
neighborhood that ever bothered somebody.  In XEmacs that means you
need to add "FMH" to catch Jamie Zawinski TODOs from 1994 ... but I
don't want those.  I'm usually not tooled for them, and obviously they
weren't that important.  So I actually value the restriction.

    Ian> 3. I think I'd like to have comments on progress and
    Ian> scheduling of TODO marked tasks that are in the source
    Ian> without having the additional notes in the source.  Clearly
    Ian> this is going to be a complete arse.

Not at all!  Look up bookmark, recent-files, save-place, and
where-was-i-db in Info (I know they exist in the XEmacs Info tree as
topics in the edit-files package docs).  The entries are not terribly
detailed (ie, they're basically undocumented) so you'll probably need
to read the docstrings in the code to really grasp the functionality.
None of them are exactly what you want, so look at them all and see if
there are features you want to mash together.

Obviously you may not want to do the mashing yourself at this point in
time, but it will give you some idea of what's out there "standard".