Re: [tlug] File Naming Convention for Videos of Presentations

On Jan 17, 2006, at 3:56 PM, Jim wrote:

> Alain Hoang wrote:
>
>> Anyone have any suggestions for a file naming convention?
>
> Pick names that sort chronologically, then add who and what.
> That will be nicely searchable at video.google.com. So:
	Makes sense.

>>> http://homepage.mac.com/r_muffin/tlug_jan_14_06_1.mp4
>>> http://homepage.mac.com/r_muffin/tlug_jan_14_06_2.mp4
>
> would become:
>
>    20060114-tlug-part1-Henri-Servomaa-OpenBlockS-Back-to-the-
> Basics.mp4
>    20060114-tlug-part2-Mauro Sauco-Fun-with-chroot-Jails.mp4
>
> Yes, those are _huge_ filenames, but it makes the contents

	The filename length is less of an issue than a good set of
naming semantics for a video filename.  After having to deal
with trying to decode far too terse naming conventions
for webcasts and video presentations many months after the
fact via the CLI I'd rather have a nice long descriptive name
over something like:
881234-video.ram

> Perhaps most importantly, it's another factor in getting indexed
> (and perhaps buffered for free?) on video.google.com.

	That's excellent advice.  I will stick with the naming convention
you suggested from now on.

Alain