Re: [tlug] Nasty Problem: searching for strings that span newlines

On 15/01/06, Ian Wells <ijw@example.com> wrote:

> On 1/14/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> [stuff]
>
> Jim, not meaning to be awkward, and this is at least in part my mailer's
> fault, but if you change the subject to every single reply you make and then
> make 6 of them my message threader gives up on you and I don't always find
> all the messages you made in reply to the original....

Since Jim's mailer is preserving all of the necessary headers,
thread-aware mailers (and luckily, our magical list archiving tool)
display his replies correctly.

However, many of us are using Gmail to read the list, so we are at the
mercy of its "conversation" view logic. While I believe many people
have suggested to Google that real threading would be a nice feature,
it is hard to say when--if ever--they will get around to that.

So I cannot demand that Jim refrains from changing the subject line,
since *he* is playing by the RFCs and it is *our* mailers who are not.

But Jim, if you don't mind leaving the subject line alone in the
context of a single thread, that would help some of us out.

Of course, those of us with non-thread-aware mailers can always refer
to the archives:

http://www.tlug.jp/ML/0601/msg00121.html

Jim's many replies are correctly threaded here.

Cheers,
Josh