[tlug] Japanese Charactersets: In the commandline and in Samba (aka. mounting a japanese windows drive)

Good morning!

I will try and keep this as precise as possible. I am having two
problems with the Japanese character set on my Fedora Core 4 Box. The
second one is of more importance to me, but solving the first problem
could make the second problem easier to debug.

(1) I chose "Japanese fonts" etc. in the graphical installation when I
was installing FC4. The fonts seemed to display OK, but I never was
able to figure out how to input Japanese characters. Since I usually
only use the command line this has never been much of a problem. In
the command line however, I can never get Japanese characters to
display. They come up as question marks etc. How do I get Japanese
characters to display on the command line (mostly when dealing with
files, but in general would be ok. How to input on the command line
would also be supper. I have a number of input editors installed and
they seem to be "running" so perhaps I am just missing a hotkey to
turn them on.)

(2) the biggie.

I am trying to mount a Windows XP drive with many Japanese filenames
via Samba. I can mount it fine, but no matter what codepage and
iochartset I seem to choose, when I cd into the directory (command
line) everything comes out as question marks. This could be because
Japanese characters are not displaying in the command line, but not
all of the files are being read (some of the kanji only files are
skipped entirely) so I have a feeling the problem is a little more
serious.

I have tried the following codepage/iocharsets with no luck:
Shift_JIS/cp932, utf8

If anyone has any suggestions I would be grateful.

Sincerely,
David