Re: [tlug] Japanese Charactersets: In the commandline and in Samba(aka. mounting a japanese windows drive)

    David> Since I usually only use the command line this has never
    David> been much of a problem. In the command line however, I can
    David> never get Japanese characters to display. They come up as
    David> question marks etc.

By "command line", do you mean "console", or do you mean "terminal"
(aka TTY), so an xterm or similar will do?  In general, if you are
using a multilingual terminal such as uxterm (aka xterm -u or
something like that), mlterm, or such, you just use a UTF-8 locale
(eg, LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8) and you're mostly there.  Depending on the
defaults, you may need to tell your terminal to pass 8 bit characters
to the display engine rather than interpreting them as meta characters
(this latter is rare though).  You probably also need to tell your
shell to pass 8 bit characters through to the display.  Finally, if
you're using a pager like less you probably have to tell it to pass 8
bit characters.

If you're on the console you can use the jfbterm (or something like
that), which is like an xterm for the Linux framebuffer console
device, or you can use kon2 (often abbreviated to kon) as mentioned
elsewhere.  I don't know much about them, and kon2 may need a Japanese
encoding, probably EUC-JP, rather than UTF-8.  I would consider kon2 a
last resort.

The Linux VGA/VESA console does do UTF-8, and I'm pretty sure I've
seen it do Klingon and Elvish, but not Japanese.  I would guess that's
a matter of fonts.

    David> How to input on the command line would also be supper.

If you've got canna or wnn daemons running, you can use the canuum
(for canna) or uum (for wnn) programs in the TTY.  If you're using an
X program, then the usual X hotkeys (the kanji key and Shift-SP)
should work for XIM.  Dunno about anthy and friends, don't use them.