Re: [tlug] Ubuntu v5.10 - Problem booting kernel

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 04:04:46PM +0900, Stoyan Zhekov wrote:
> On 12/28/05, bofh@example.com <bofh@example.com> wrote:
> > I've taken some advice from here and am trying Ubuntu.
> >
> > Uncompressing Liux... Ok, booting the kernel.
> > [    16.918631 ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables
> >

> See [ http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-75002.html ], and specially:
>
> linux acpi=off noacpi

Thanks,

I finally got back to this and chose the memory check from the GRUB boot
loader. It showed me lots of memory errors... :)

I isolated and swapped out the faulty memory, and presto - here I am writing
this email from a shell on the new Ubuntu machine... thanks!

On another note... trying to install Skype.
I chose the "Static binary tar.bz2 with Qt 3.2 compiled in" from
http://www.skype.com/products/skype/linux and followed the directions for
unpacking.

When I tried to run Skype, I got:

$ ./skype --resources-path ./
./skype: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open

Checking the FAQ showed me that
"Skype for Linux requires glibc 2.3.3 or greater and Qt 3.2 or greater. Even
if you do not have Qt 3.2 or greater, you are still able to use Skype for
Linux beta by downloading its static version that has Qt 3.2 compiled in.
However, in this case, Skype for Linux does not integrate with your desktop
theme, as it does with the dynamic versions."

Is libstdc connected to glibc?

Thanks for any pointers,

Shawn