Re: [tlug] Re: Ubuntu v5.10

On 1/11/06, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> Lyle H Saxon <llletters@example.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been having some weird problems with Ubuntu.  Normal text entry
> > is all CAPS - to get lower case I have to use Shift-Lock(!?!)
>
> What do you mean by "Shift-Lock"?
>
> Did you mean "Caps Lock"?

Yes.  Sorry about that.  I typed it in a dark room, so I didn't look
down to verify it.  That brings an unrelated question to mind
though... what was it called on typewriters?  Thinking back, I seem to
remember "Shift Lock", which is probably how I made that mistake.

> What do you get when you type the numerals above the qwerty row?
> Do you get numerals or punctuation?

I'm on another computer now, but when I next fire it up, I'll give it
another try.  I do remember though, that it wasn't just a
straightforward everything reversed situation.  All letters of the
alphabet were cleanly reversed, but I was unable to type one symbol or
another - I think the... underbar (? - is that what's it's called?
It's called that locally, but I can't remember if that's English or
not) and/or the "at" symbol.

It'll be a few hours before I can fire that box up and check it, but
I'll report back when I do.  As a forewarning, when I check it, I'll
send a message from that machine and just leave on the screen whatever
junk I end up with.  The text I can type in all lower case (by setting
it to all caps!), but there may be no punctuation of any kind.

Lyle