Re: [tlug] Changing Hardware Makes Computer Unbootable

    Jim> Why can't the guest room PC boot (or read?) CDs?

Dunno.  But curiously enough, my current Dr. Frankenstein box has the
same problem.  Tyan 2895 mobo, Phoenix BIOS 4.0 rev 6.1, AMD Opteron
265 (1), but it won't recognize either IDE or USB CD drives.  (NetBSD
doesn't recognize the USB drive, either, or half the hardware.  At
least I can say "mount -t cd9660 /dev/cd0d /mnt WHOO!"[1] and it
mounts. ;-)

It could be the hardware---the IDE CD is an LG CDE-8120B that came
with a Gateway box that literally went out in a flash of light, and
the USB is a Logitec CD-RW+/DVD-R with USB 2.0 that was awful' cheap.
Thank God for floppies (and boo-hiss Gentoo, which doesn't point to
floppies from its Install page! guess I'll have to resort to Debian ;-)

Footnotes:
[1]  For those who don't know, that's HG Laser Ramon (sp?) syntax;
sorta the Japanese geinoukai version of Zippy the Pinhead, with hip
action!  I guess that's why it helps when mounting.

[Aside to Josh: It's a shame about your keyboard and monitor, but you
know you shouldn't be drinking while reading TLUG!]