[tlug] Ubuntu v5.10 - Problem booting kernel

I've taken some advice from here and am trying Ubuntu.

I ran into some problems getting my old guestroom computer to boot from the
CD, so what I ended up doing was taking out the hard disk, plugging that into
my own machine, and then installing the OS onto the hard disk that way. Then
I connected the hard disk back to the guest computer and tried to boot, but I
get:

Uncompressing Liux... Ok, booting the kernel.
[    16.918631 ACPI: Unable to load the System Description Tables

I took the hard disk off and tested it by booting it on my machine, which
worked. I then took it back to the guest machine, but got the same error. I
then took the guest computer case back to my room, and connected the hard
disk to it along with my own hardware: monitor, keyboard, usb mouse, wireless
lan adapter. Ubuntu booted and came up fine.

I took the guest computer back to the guest room, hooked it back to the guest
monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and started it up - but I get the above error
again during boot. I don't get it. The only thing that is different is the
monitor, keyboard and mouse (PS/2). Would that be enough to cause the error?

Any pointers appreciated,

Shawn