Re: [tlug] Changing Hardware Makes Computer Unbootable

Why can't the guest room PC boot (or read?) CDs?

The Brilliant Operator From Heaven:

> I ... am trying Ubuntu.

> ... I
> then took the guest computer case back to my room, and connected the hard
> disk to it along with my own hardware: monitor, keyboard, usb mouse, wireless
> lan adapter. Ubuntu booted and came up fine.
>
> I took the guest computer back to the guest room, hooked it back to the guest
> monitor, keyboard, and mouse, and started it up - but I get the above error
> again during boot. I don't get it. The only thing that is different is the
> monitor, keyboard and mouse (PS/2). Would that be enough to cause the error?

The empirical evidence you offer seems to suggest exactly that.

I recommend that you further isolate which swapped item
causes success or failure. Swap one thing at a time.
Among the three things you mentioned swapping,
I would suspect the USB versus PS/2 mouse first.

A _crude_ solution might be to move the guest room computer's
hard drive, monitor, keyboard and mouse to your other PC
for the duration of the installation.
A slightly less crude solution might be to get your guest room
PC to boot CDs, perhaps by borrowing a CD drive or by booting
a floppy disc that in turn boots the CD.