Re: [tlug] Mo' bulged electrolytic capacitors and IndustrialEspionage

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> However, after talking with the sales guy, the reason they were cheap
> was because the "condensor" was faulty.

This is a _very_ well known problem involving multiple capacitor
suppliers to multiple motherboard manufacturers to multiple PC
makers including some big brand names. Here's where to begin your
research:

   http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=site%3Acolug.net+capacitors

Lyle H Saxon wrote:

> As for repairing computers - keep in mind that the circuit boards are
> not made by human hands any more, and not being made by humans, they
> are not easily repaired by humans.

Speak for yourself.

I have repaired about half a dozen motherboards with bad
capacitors.

> So... if manufacture[r]s don't do it, then you could wonder if
> it's a good idea to spend your own time on it.

Ahhh, the price of ignorance.

Which is quicker, repairing a dead motherboard or buying and
installing a new one (especially if it has some wierd features)?
It is not a rhetorical issue. I can replace the caps in less time
than it takes to buy a new motherboard. Whether or not it is
better or not to replace or repair a dead motherboard involves
several issues. Availibility of _appropriate_ replacements is an
issue. Availibility of tools and replacement parts and the skill to
use them are issues. The need for durability is an issue.
Whether or not the replacement motherboard suffers the same
problem is an issue. YMMV.

Jim