Re: [tlug] Mo' bulged electrolytic capacitors and Industrial Espionage

On 12/28/05, Jim <jep200404@example.com> wrote:
> Lyle H Saxon wrote:
> > As for repairing computers - keep in mind that the circuit boards are
> > not made by human hands any more, and not being made by humans, they
> > are not easily repaired by humans.
>
> Speak for yourself.
>
> I have repaired about half a dozen motherboards with bad
> capacitors.

I see.

> > So... if manufacture[r]s don't do it, then you could wonder if
> > it's a good idea to spend your own time on it.
>
> Ahhh, the price of ignorance.

No - the price of time!  Why get dirty fixing faulty circuit boards
when you can just buy a whole new (used) computer for cheap?  Back in
high school I tried stuff like that - but once you start losing parts
on a circuit board, there's always the possibility of other damaged
parts - a ripple effect.  That said, it's true enough that I haven't
been wading around in the bilge on this specific issue at this
specific time....

> Which is quicker, repairing a dead motherboard or buying and
> installing a new one?

Neither!  It's quicker to get an entirely new (used) computer!!

Lyle