Re: [tlug] Mlterm

On 20/12/05, Evan Monroig <evan.monroig@example.com> wrote:

> Currently I am using gnome terminal, which is UTF8-enabled, where I
> can read/write japanese, edit UTF-8 files with vim, etc.
> Is it sufficient?

Probably.

> Or do the terminals you mention have more features ?

Eterm does not. It blows at M17n.

> I already have 'multilingual', and I care about 'lightweight', but
> have no clue as to which is more lightweight than the other, as they
> all pretend to be so ^^. As for transparency, why not (but I guess you
> would lose on the 'lightweight' scale..)?

Mlterm is almost certainly more lightweight than is gnome-terminal,
since it does not need GNOME libs (or does gnome-terminal just use
GTK?), and does not even need GTK unless you want the GUI
configurator. Which you don't if you follow my guide.

The best thing about Mlterm is that you can input CJK in any encoding,
while gnome-terminal is just UTF-8, as far as I know. One of my
colleagues here claims that, for CJK users, Mlterm is *the* weapon of
choice.

Works for me. :)

-Josh