Re: [tlug] linux/macos friendly printer/scanner

On 15/12/05, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> A similar situation is becoming very common in academia, though.  You
> Google for something and get a hit on the abstract.  Then you go to
> the site and it says "this article is available for download to the
> paying customers."  *sigh*

More's the pity.

The thing is, do TLUGers want the mailing list archives to look like
experts-exchange.com who tout solutions for all kinds of problems, and
even have them show high up in search engine results, but nag people
to subscribe or jump through hoops in any other way in order to get at
the solution that's being dangled like a carrot in front of them when
they click on the listed link?

It has got to the point where most queries I run on google contain the
term "-site:experts-exchange.com". We wouldn't want people to have to
do something like "-site:tlug.jp" simply in order to be rid of "junk"
links they can't access.

E-mail addresses are already obfuscated in the archives. Maybe it
would be possible to open them to the public now?