Re: [tlug] CJK Printing from Web Browsers in Centos 4.2

Thanks for the suggestions.

On Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:11:01 +0900, Josh Glover <jmglov@example.com> wrote:
> On 11/15/05, David E <dave@???> wrote:
>
> > Can you point me toward any info on how to set CUPS to render in
> > Postscript Level 2 before sending to the printer? A quick Google and
> > look through the CUPS config i/f rendered 'nuttin.
>
> Assuming the CUPS daemon is running and you are allowing it to listen
> on localhost, fire up a web browser and go to:
>
> http://127.0.0.1:631/printers
>
> Click on the "Configure Printer" button next to your printer. As long
> as you are using a Postscript driver, you should see, under the
> "Miscellaneous" header, an option called "GhostScript pre-filtering:".
> Set this puppy to "Convert to PS level 2".

Hmmm. That's the first place I looked actually, but I don't have the
"Miscellaneous" option available. Only "General", "Printout Mode",
"Banners". This is on Debian, with CUPS V 1.1.23 and using a
foomatic/hpijs driver. More searching suggests (but didn't completely
confirm) the this driver uses PS Level 2 by default, (whatever that
means). Printing on Linux is a dark, foggy swamp, ain't it?

But, your previous comment about KPrint did lead me to an alternative
solution. In Firefox's printer options, I set the print command to:

kprinter ${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME:+'-P'}${MOZ_PRINTER_NAME}

...and voila! I'm able to print correctly from Firefox via Kprinter.

Thanks very much for your help.

Dave