[tlug] shutting off the HD on a laptop

David Riggs <dariggs@example.com> wrote:

>> Is it possible to turn the hard drive off, thus saving battery and
>> noise, and run off main and say, a flash card in the PCMCIA slot of a
>> laptop? I am working on setting up a Thinkpad 50e, and would also do it
>> on my Toshiba 1415-S173 if I could. I used to do this on Powerbooks,
>> running everything off a RAM disk, and it was really nice. I could get
>> along without X if necessary, as I just want to be able to take notes
>> and such while on the go and get as much time out of the battery as I can.

I just bought a Thinkpad 50e and am still setting it up (FDC4). The
purchase was self-insurance - my 3.5yo Thinkpad T23 has been getting the
occasional disk freezeup, which mercifully clears with a restart, but I
thought it would be easier to get a new system and move over than to
do something like mirroring the disk and then replacing it. Also
the 50e cost 35% of the T23.

Jim

--
Jim Breen                                http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/
Clayton School of Information Technology,               Tel: +61 3 9905 9554