Re: [tlug] SuSe10, USB 2.0, Higher Resolution, etc.

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 11:35 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> First, some good news about SuSE 10.0.
I successfully installed it on my machine too, the open source version.
This is the 2nd time that i have downloaded an OS from the internet "for
free" (although i know it's not free in that sense).  The first time was
Ubuntu.  And again, i am totally impressed--that GNU/Linux programmers
have made this wonderful product available to the world, essentially
with no strings attached except "Please contribute to this project in
some way."

The installation went pretty smoothly.  As someone said earlier, Anthy
works much better now.  It does remember which kanji you selected last
time for a particular phonetic sequence, and you can select which kanji
you want out of 3 possibilities at a time using the number pad.  (But
you can only see 3 possibilities at a time?  You'd think there would be
a maximum of 10 or so.  Maybe that can be configured somewhere?)

WNN 8 works even better, at least the version i am using sometimes, in
Knoppix 4.0.  I like it much more than Anthy, but am i going to pay
10,000 yen for it?  Hmm...  A better way to go would probably be to buy
the commercial version of SuSE 10.0.  But Anthy is fine now.  Gets the
job done.

About the dark blue problem, i haven't the slightest idea.

> I've begun using USB-2.0 BTW - and must say I'm quite happy to finally
> have USB that is fast enough to actually use for large data transfer (to
> an external hard drive), doing in ten minutes what took five or six
> hours before.

A lot of things seem to happen faster than before, so although 10.0 is
not a huge improvement over 9.3, there are significant improvements.  It
seems a little more user friendly too.

Still haven't found a driver for my printer though (Epson LP7100).

Best,
Joe