Re: [tlug] network diagrams, spreadsheet, or database

Micheal E Cooper wrote:

Our network documentation is way out of date, so I was about to use Dia to
make new network diagrams. I found this link, which though out of date
compares different network diagram tools:
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/02/15/LinuxAdmin.html

Since none of these seems ideal, I was wondering what other people use. I
have also talked to folks who dismiss network diagrams in favor of
spreadsheets/ databases.

I would just like to make some up-to-date documentation of the network so
that someone can come in and fix things if something happens when I am
away. I will be going back to the US for the first time in 9 years, and I
want to make sure that there are no catastrophies while I am gone.

Any software recommendations or alternatives?

Thanks for the link. I think your answer would partially depend on the size of your network. For small to medium sized networks I think you can get away with using Dia just fine. For larger networks the hierarchical views that the other tools seem to offer would be quite beneficial. I have used Tkined myself but I found its UI a little too quirky for me and I ended up doing many undesired actions (such as deleting gateways I didn't want deleted) when trying to build a useful network map with it. I have tended to use Dia most of the time since I found it simple enough to use and it exported into enough different formats that I was satisfied with. One thing I would think about when choosing a tool is how easy would it be for others in the company to be able to access the diagram. If you use hierarchical views heavily you can either export everything to a bunch of image files or make sure someone else has access to program <blah> so they can easily view the network diagram.

When it comes to network documentation, my personal thoughts are you can NEVER have enough and I always seem to have the wrong set of docs for the problem at hand (necessitating the need to update the outdated docs). If you can manage, I would have both a network diagram and a database/spreadsheet listing all the important information for your network so anyone can locate this information quickly without having to crawl under Yamada-san's desk to find workstation A actually has an IP address of 192.168.0.35 rather than .34. And of course the underside of Yamada-san's desk hasn't been dusted in eons making the job just that much enjoyable. :-) I would never discount a network diagram since it can give someone who is unfamiliar with a network a very good birds-eye view of the network in a very short amount of time. I'm not sure what to think of people who eschew network diagrams. They're probably too elite for me :-). However, diagrams can become burdensome if you want to include every single stinking workstation in the diagram in a network with hundreds of workstation. At that point you might be adding too much visual noise to make out much of anything. Creating a good set of network diagrams that are useful in times of crisis is a decent balance of enough detail without dropping out critical information. Spreadsheets/databases are very good tools for keeping track of IP addresses, MAC addresses and all those other types of network information that are not easily captured in a visual form. I presume with some fancy structuring of your data you could probably auto-generate a nice logical diagram of your network given the information in your spreadsheet but then that requires another tool. Personally, I'm wary of such tools since I'm not thinking of neat-o tools when firefighting, just the set of tools for getting the job done. If you have a nice reliable database lying around, then it would make sense to dump all these tabular types of information into that database. Otherwise, a set of spreedsheet documents or text files in tabular form would be sufficient.

Cheers,
Alain