[tlug] network diagrams, spreadsheet, or database

Our network documentation is way out of date, so I was about to use Dia to
make new network diagrams. I found this link, which though out of date
compares different network diagram tools:
http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2001/02/15/LinuxAdmin.html

Since none of these seems ideal, I was wondering what other people use. I
have also talked to folks who dismiss network diagrams in favor of
spreadsheets/ databases.

I would just like to make some up-to-date documentation of the network so
that someone can come in and fix things if something happens when I am
away. I will be going back to the US for the first time in 9 years, and I
want to make sure that there are no catastrophies while I am gone.

Any software recommendations or alternatives?