Re: [tlug] Paper Handling in Printers

"Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote:

> ... but one simply has to accept that ... Japan ... is dirty and humid.

That's why I mentioned that humidity can affect printing. Once
one knows that humidity can be a factor, one can deal with it.

I had some envelopes that printed much better in winter than
summer. Baking them for several hours at 70C helped greatly in
summer. It seems to be the paper more than the printers that is
sensitive to humidity. After baking paper goods, its dryness can
be preserved by storing in zip-lock bags with silica-gel packets,
pretty much like roasted laver.

When roasted laver has been left out and absorbed humidity,
I can partially rejuvenate it by heating in a clean dry pan,
but it's never as good as when it first came out of the package.
At least paper can be completely rejuvenated by baking,
if it never got moist enough to change its texture.

By the way, the early uses of air-conditioning were not for the
comfort of people, but for the reliability of industrial
processes in factories.