Re: [tlug] XEmacs 21.4.15 and UTF8

The meta should work in the same way, since it's emulating the Content-Type header, but it must be the first meta line immediately after <html><head>.

Not tried this - I use the http header and utf-8 - so YMMV.

On 10/6/05, Scott Robbins <scottro@example.com> wrote:
On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 06:22:27PM +0900, Josh wrote:
> This is probably a SJT question, but maybe some other kindred XEmacs
> soul on the list can help me out.
>
> I am trying to convince XEmacs 21.4.15 (the latest stable version in
> Gentoo's Portage as of this writing) with Mule to let me save files in
> UTF-8 encoding. I have the app-xemacs/mule-ucs package installed, and
> some Gentoo documentation had me stick the following in my XEmacs init
> file:

> Does anybody have any ideas? In the meantime, I am using EUC-JP
> encoding, which works fine, but Firefox defaults to Western
> (ISO-8859-1) even though I have the following in my <head> section:

> Does anyone know why *this* is not working? It works fine for Jim
> Breen's WWWJDIC pages.

Yes, though I can't find the link at this instant.  Someone happened to
be corresponding with me about it yesterday.  He fixed it by adding the
following php code.   (I don't know php, and at present, I'm waiting for
confirmation from him, as to my <very limited> knowledge, it seems as if
he mistyped.  He also said that he "put it at the top".  Again, not
knowing php, I don't know if this means above the <head> tag or not.

<?
header('Content-type: text/html; charset=UTF-8');
?>

To my (again very limited) understanding of php, I suspect that the
first line should be <?php  rather than just a question mark, and I'm
also not sure if it was his typing or my emailer that put the <? and
?> on separate lines, as every other example that I remember seeing
would have it on the same line as the actual code.

Ah, here's the explanation of why the META tags might not be working.

http://my.opera.com/community/forums/topic.dml?id=10942

Hope this helps.

--

Scott Robbins

PGP keyID EB3467D6
( 1B48 077D 66F6 9DB0 FDC2 A409 FA54 EB34 67D6 )

Buffy: Cool! Crossbow! Check out these babies. Goodbye stakes,
hello flying fatality.