[tlug] XEmacs 21.4.15 and UTF8

This is probably a SJT question, but maybe some other kindred XEmacs
soul on the list can help me out.

I am trying to convince XEmacs 21.4.15 (the latest stable version in
Gentoo's Portage as of this writing) with Mule to let me save files in
UTF-8 encoding. I have the app-xemacs/mule-ucs package installed, and
some Gentoo documentation had me stick the following in my XEmacs init
file:

(require 'un-define)
(require 'jisx0213)
(set-language-environment "Japanese")
(set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
(set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)

But XEmacs angrily cries thusly:

(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading
/home/jmglov/.xemacs/init.el:

Cannot open load file: jisx0213

Does anybody have any ideas? In the meantime, I am using EUC-JP
encoding, which works fine, but Firefox defaults to Western
(ISO-8859-1) even though I have the following in my <head> section:

Does anyone know why *this* is not working? It works fine for Jim
Breen's WWWJDIC pages.

TIA,
Josh