Re: [tlug] XEmacs 21.4.15 and UTF8

    Josh> I am trying to convince XEmacs 21.4.15 (the latest stable
    Josh> version in Gentoo's Portage as of this writing)

That's way behind, released 2004 Feb 03.  We're now on 21.4.17, and
from the way Vin's stomach is growling I'd bet on 21.4.18 by the end
of this month.

21.4.15 is a very stable release, mind you, but one gets the feeling
that Gentoo doesn't care that much about XEmacs.  I think this is one
blade you want to sharpen yourself.

    Josh> with Mule to let me save files in UTF-8 encoding.

Put down that hammer, or at least aim it at a nail rather than your
forehead.  Mule-UCS was never more than a stopgap.  XEmacs 21.5 has
been the recommended version for serious Unicode users for almost two
years, SuSE went to it a year ago at least.

Currently XEmacs 21.5.22 (soon to be .23) *is* pragmatically stable
(but I don't expect that to last much past 21.5.23, things are looking
to get wild and woolly soon).  Better yet, grab the sjt-xft branch.
You'll have a small amount of font configuration pain, but wouldn't
you rather be looking at kochi-mincho (or even mikachan) than k14?

If you *must* use 21.4 ...

    Josh> (require 'un-define)

OK.

    Josh> (require 'jisx0213)

Well, don't do that, then.  Do you need JIS X 0213 support?  Do you
even know what that means?  :-)

I would guess that if you look around you'll find a jisx0213 package
for XEmacs, but I doubt that you need it.

    Josh> (set-language-environment "Japanese")
    Josh> (set-default-coding-systems 'utf-8)
    Josh> (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8)

With 21.5 you can also do

    (setq file-name-coding-system 'utf-8)

dired doesn't like non-Latin-1 at all, unfortunately.