Re: [tlug] Questions about specifications for some cutting edge video recording via laptop

On 9/12/05, Ian Wells <ijw@example.com> wrote:

> Possibly, but there will still be more seeks involved than with writing a
> single file, surely, as any FS would try and make the files (rather than the
> writes) as sequential on disk as possible.  Or maybe they block up in memory
> before writing out, I suppose I can't really jump to conclusions...  Still
> an area worth checking.

Yes, writes are buffered and written in a file-independent manner. The
write(3) syscall simply places the data to be written in the block
buffer, which the Linux kernel then writes to disk in an intelligent
fashion. So it should not matter how many files you are writing to,
the disk will still be used efficiently.

-Josh