[tlug] Questions about specifications for some cutting edge video recording via laptop

TLUG,

    I'm considering working on a video project in the next year where
I'd like to do some fairly cutting edge production methods. Right now
I'm just in the purely speculative phase, and I have some initial
questions I thought some people on this list might be able to answer, or
at least give me some starting points for further research.

    Would it be possible for a Linux based laptop to receive and record
three NTSC video feeds all at once? What kind of specs would a laptop
like that need?
    I realize that's probably a tall order for any laptop, Linux based
or otherwise, but still, I wonder about the feasibility. And I would
prefer to go with Linux and be as open source as possible for this project.

    Most digital cameras have fire wire support. I know with my own
desktop installation of CentOS that firewire is possible, but is fairly
cutting edge. Would it be feasible to have three firewire ports coming
out of the laptop to control three different cameras?

    Lastly, what is the likelihood of finding some kind of programmer
who could build custom controls to handle a camera controlling laptop?
By likelihood, I'm not referring to whether or not programmers exist for
this sort of thing, but whether or not it's realistic to expect the
resources for programmers to work with exist. For example, if someone
said that all the necessary drivers for cameras were completely
proprietary, and so even the best programmer would not be able to
construct a program to control a camera no matter what, then that would
be the kind of answer I'm trying to find out.

    These are very wide questions, very pie-in-the-sky, but if someone
can help me get a handle on maybe what the better questions are, or
where to really look for info on this, I would be very appreciative.

    Thank you for taking the time to read this. I look forward to
hearing from you.

Dave