Re: [tlug] Call for speakers for September TLUG meeting

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 14:12:40 +0900, Ian Wells <ijw@example.com> wrote:

> On 9/1/05, Zev Blut <zb@example.com> wrote:
>>
>> Demonstrations of how to use (X)emacs and Vi by those who are willing
>> to call themselves power users. Some of us learn best by seeing how
>> others use his/her preferred editor.
>

> I can scare other programmers using both nowadays, but I'd be surprised
> if I
> was the only one on here...

Well maybe you can scare us :-)

> Which reminds me, on a topic change, has anyone seen Eclipse's
> compile-as-you-type-and-show-you-the-errors feature? (Well, it does it
> for
> Perl, at least.) It's very nice, I just don't have the patience to learn
> another new editor. It's tempting to do it myself sometime when I'm
> bored,
> but I'm rarely *that* bored...

Yes, whenever I develop code in Java, which is not much these days,
this feature is a must for me.  I got my first taste of this with
Visual Age for Java, which is the parent of Eclipse.  Although, maybe
what I am thinking of is not exactly compile-as-you-type, but very
similar.  It would compile after you completed a method and then show
you any errors if they existed.  My most common non-error was making a
reference to a method I was about to write.  My experience with
Smalltalk is still lacking, but I believe that this is a Smalltalk
inspired feature.  At least, a quick test with Squeak shows a similar
feature.

Zev