Re: [tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

Dave Gutteridge wrote:

> The reason that Scott's web page confuses me, and why I'm still
> generally confused about Japanese input, are that every page, and each
> piece of advice I get on mailing lists seems to be talking about
> entirely different systems. There are all these methods, and layers to
> methods, such as iiimf, canna, wnn, kbx, xim, kterm, kinput... I'm not
> sure which does what, and each web page, including Scott's, seems to
> draw on only a few of them. This means that I go to one web page, it
> gives me a set of instructions, they don't work, so I look for another
> web page to try and see if I can find what went wrong, and the new web
> page leads me down an entirely different path. I feel like over the
> last three weeks of configuring my Linux desktop to use Japanese, I've
> never touched the same setting twice.
>
> It also means that after fiddling with some setting, I ask on a
> mailing list about why it didn't work, and someone gives me an answer
> that probably works for their set up, but because they most likely
> followed a different route to get there, it doesn't seem to apply in
> my case. Surely it can't be that everyone has a completely different
> method of Japanese (or other languages) input, and yet it seems that
> way now.

I was in the same spot, although my attempts were more spread out -
squeezed in between other work. I also never did get things rolling in
Japanese from the advice I got, so I sent anything that needed to be
sent in Japanese from a SuSE 9.1 box that I'd originally set up as
Japanese during the install. The SuSE 9.1 box that I'd originally set up
in English could read Japanese, but I could never enter it.

With the advent of 9.3 though, selecting Japanese as a secondary
language fixed the problem and now I'm able to write in Japanese - これ
は日本語なのじゃ! - Banzai! With one caveat though, when I upgraded my
wife's computer from 9.1 to 9.3, the input method changed and she's
none-too-pleased with the new one. There are two e-mail from someone
about ATOK that I've been meaning to follow up on, but haven't had the
time to...yet. ATOK you have to buy, but the input method is -
apparently - more polished. I don't know if it will help at all, but
here is the second of the two e-mails: