[tlug] Japanese Input on CentOS / KDE

Hello TLUG,

    I've just recently installed CentOS, and I'm using the KDE desktop
environment. I've experimented with a couple Linux distros, and I like
the Red Hat set up, and I like CentOS's open source approach. I'm pretty
happy with the overall package.

    I'm kind of a newbie with Linux. I've dabbled with Irix over seven
years ago, and forgotten almost all commands. I'm familiar with broad
concepts of Unix/Linux, but please be very explicit when offering
advice, as my knowledge of details is almost non existant.
    It's my goal to make CentOS my primary OS and phase Windows out of
my life. And as I live and work in Tokyo, Japanese input is essential.

    I'm posting here because I have been unsuccessful at getting
Japanese input to work. I've looked at a lot of references, and got a
little help on the CentOS mailing list, and also read what the TLUG web
site had to say.

But it's not adding up. And I don't have Japanese input working.

Some pages I've looked at are:
http://laeren.zoggins.net/japan/japanmoz.shtml
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-i18n-list/2004-November/msg00030.html
http://fedora.redhat.com/projects/i18n/iiimf-faq.html

I've tried to follow their instructions and trouble shooting as much as
possible, but still no dice.

Can someone give me some definitive instructions on how to get Japanese
input for Red Hat / CentOS / KDE?

Here are some references about my current set up:

[root@example.com dave]# service iiim status
htt (pid 3193) is running...

[root@example.com dave]# rpm -qa |grep iiimf
iiimf-csconv-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-protocol-lib-11.4-43
iiimf-libs-devel-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-libs-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-gtk-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-client-lib-11.4-43
iiimf-x-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-gnome-im-switcher-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-le-unit-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-client-lib-devel-11.4-43
iiimf-server-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-le-canna-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-docs-12.1-13.EL
iiimf-protocol-lib-devel-11.4-43

[root@example.com dave]# ps auxwww | grep httx
root      4433  0.0  0.2  5272  664 pts/4    S+   18:38   0:00 grep httx

[root@example.com dave]# LANG=ja_JP.UTF-8 XMODIFIERS=@example.com=htt kedit
QInputContext: no input method context available
QInputContext: no input method context available

    Any help would be much appreciated.

Dave