[tlug] Alsa configuration problems in Debian Sarge

I've spend a good part of the past few days trying to get sound
working in Debian Sarge 2.6.8-2  with Alsa, to no avail. I checked the TLUG
archives and found a thread from last year initiated by Alessandro,
for which Scott offered some advice. The problem seems to be similar,
but I haven't been able to resolve it yet.

As I understand it, Alsa comes installed in the 2.6. kernel, and so no
special installation should be necessary. When I
run "alsaconf", it correctly finds my SB Audigy card, to which it
applies the emu10k1 module, and subsequently modifies
/etc/modprobe.d/sound and /etc/modprobe.conf, including snd-emu10k1,
reporting successful configuration. But still no sound. Lsmod gives this:

    xps8250:/home/chuck# lsmod
    Module                  Size  Used by
    snd_emu10k1            80776  0
    snd_rawmidi            23204  1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_pcm_oss            48168  0
    snd_mixer_oss          16640  1 snd_pcm_oss
    snd_pcm                85384  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm_oss
    snd_timer              23300  1 snd_pcm
    snd_seq_device          7944  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi
    snd_ac97_codec         59268  1 snd_emu10k1
    snd_page_alloc         11144  2 snd_emu10k1,snd_pcm
   snd_util_mem            4608  1 snd_emu10k1
   snd_hwdep               9092  1 snd_emu10k1
   snd                    50660  10
    snd_emu10k1,snd_rawmidi,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer,sn
     d_seq_device,snd_ac97_codec,snd_util_mem,snd_hwdep
    soundcore               9824  1 snd

As I understand it, Alex eventually resolved the problem in figuring
out that Alsa was conflicting with OSS, which was being loaded on boot. He
disableed this by changing a file name. However, when I do
dmesg, I see no indication of OSS being loaded, so I am not sure if
this is the problem.

In any case, I'm still not getting sound, and I wonder if anyone can
point me in a helpful direction. Everything that I have turned up
googling has been old stuff, long before the 2.6 kernel.

Chuck

Charles Muller

Toyo Gakuen University
Faculty of Humanities