Re: [tlug] SuSE 9.1 - 9.3 Upgrade Saga

Steve Smith wrote:

>Does the YAST hardware probe find anything for your mouse or
>floppy?
>YAST/Yast Modules/hardware/display hardware information

Not in order, but this brings up many questions from my end.  In looking
over the information I obtained through "Hardware Information", there is
so much detail.  Statistics for the file are as follows:

                   File size: 227,075 bytes
        Number of paragraphs:  11,891
             Number of words:  43,506
Number of letters and digits: 141,471
        Number of characters: 172,392

I'm not sure what to make of it all, but if something from the excerpts
below catches your eye, please let me know (I took out some of the
numbers I thought it might be better not to have on the Internet):

1) The CD-R/RW/DVD-R-RW is working, although there is that strange
German language message choise I have go through each time.  In the
hardware information there is this:

  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <4>end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
  <4>end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <6>cdrom: open failed.
  <4>end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
  <4>end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
  <4>end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
  <4>end_request: I/O error, dev fd0, sector 0
  <3>subfs: unsuccessful attempt to mount media (256)

29: IDE 02.0: 10602 CD-ROM (DVD-R)
  [Created at block.192]
  SysFS ID: /block/hdc
  SysFS BusID: 1.0
  Hardware Class: cdrom
  Model: "_NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG"
  Vendor: "_NEC"
  Device: "DVD_RW ND-3500AG"
  Revision: "2.16"
  Serial ID: ""
  Driver: "PIIX_IDE", "ide-cdrom"
  Device File: /dev/dvdrecorder
  Features: CD-R, CD-RW, DVD, DVD-R
  Size: 0 sectors a 512 bytes
  Drive status: no medium
  Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #18 (IDE interface)
  Drive Speed: 48

2)  Floppy....

 >> misc.1.3: read floppy
  read_block0: open(/dev/fd0) failed

irq:1  6 (       26) "floppy"

    block device: bus = platform, bus_id = floppy.0 driver = unknown
      path = /devices/platform/floppy.0

=========== end debug info ============
01: None 00.0: 0102 Floppy disk controller
  [Created at floppy.111]
  Hardware Class: storage
  Model: "Floppy disk controller"
  I/O Ports: 0x3f2-0x3f5 (rw)
  DMA: 2
  IRQ: 6 (26 events)
  I/O Port: 0x3f7 (rw)
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

02: Floppy 00.0: 10603 Floppy Disk
  [Created at floppy.119]
  Unique ID: sPPV.oZ89vuho4Y3
  Parent ID: rdCR.3wRL2_g4d2B
  Hardware Class: floppy
  Model: "Floppy Disk"
  Device File: /dev/fd0
  Size: 3.5 ''
  Size: 2880 sectors a 512 bytes
  Drive status: no medium
  Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #1 (Floppy disk controller)

3) Mouse

      psmouse: /devices/platform/i8042/serio0

  I: Bus=0011 Vendor=0002 Product=0001 Version=004d
  N: Name="PS/2 Logitech Mouse"
  P: Phys=isa0060/serio1/input0
  H: Handlers=mouse1 event2
  B: EV=7
  B: KEY=30000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
  B: REL=3

12: None 00.0: 10400 PS/2 Controller
  [Created at misc.302]
  Hardware Class: unknown
  Model: "PS/2 Controller"
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

32: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse
  [Created at input.140]
  Hardware Class: mouse
  Model: "PS/2 Logitech Mouse"
  Vendor: int 0x0210
  Device: int 0x0002 "PS/2 Logitech Mouse"
  Device File: /dev/input/mice (/dev/input/mouse1)
  Device Number: char 13:63 (char 13:33)
  Driver Info #0:
    Buttons: 2
    Wheels: 0
    XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
    GPM Protocol: exps2
  Config Status: cfg=no, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown

41: USB 00.0: 10503 USB Mouse
  [Created at manual.278]
  SysFS BusID: 1-2:1.0
  Hardware Class: mouse
  Model: "Logitech USB-PS/2 Trackball"
  Hotplug: USB
  Vendor: usb 0x046d "Logitech Inc."
  Device: usb 0xc402 "USB-PS/2 Trackball"
  Revision: "2.10"
  Compatible to: int 0x0200 0x0001 "Generic USB Mouse"
  Speed: 0 bps
  Driver Info #0:
    XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
    GPM Protocol: exps2
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=no, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #30 (Hub)

59: PS/2 00.0: 10500 PS/2 Mouse
  [Created at manual.278]
  Hardware Class: mouse
  Model: "Generic PS/2 Mouse"
  Vendor: int 0x0200 "Unknown"
  Device: int 0x0002 "Generic PS/2 Mouse"
  Device File: /dev/psaux
  Driver Info #0:
    Wheels: 0
    XFree86 Protocol: explorerps/2
    GPM Protocol: exps2
  Config Status: cfg=yes, avail=no, need=yes, active=unknown
  Attached to: #12 (PS/2 Controller)

4) Something....

  S:disk/by-uuid/unknown volume type disk/by-label/unknown volume type
  M:7:1
  S:disk/by-uuid/unknown volume type disk/by-label/unknown volume type
  M:7:0