Re: [tlug] English/Japanese Debian Install for beginners

if you use Gnome you don't have to disable GDM from startup. You can
put your kinput line in a file named ".gnomerc" in your home folder
(^_^) :
export XMODIFIERS="@example.com=kinput2" LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8 kinput2 -canna &

I also use a debian-based distribution (Ubuntu), but use a different
input method (UIM with Anthy) and it works well with the packages
"uim" and "anthy" installed, and the following configuration

in ~/.uim:
------
# select anthy as default input method for uim
(define default-im-name 'anthy)
# To have the º~¦r¡]¥b¨¤/¥þ¨¤¡^ key change the input method (japanese keyboard)
(define-key anthy-on-key? '"zenkaku-hankaku")
(define-key anthy-off-key? '"zenkaku-hankaku")
------

in ~/.gnomerc
------
export XMODIFIERS=@example.com=uim
export GTK_IM_MODULE=uim
------

I read somewhere that for KDE you have to replace "GTK_IM_MODULE" by
"QT_IM_MODULE" and that the configuration file is not "~/.gnomerc" but
something like "~/.xsession", but I never tried :)

Evan