Re: [tlug] Re: Has anyone bought boxed distros in Japan?

Keith.Wilkinson@example.com wrote:

>SuSE 9.3J costs only 10,800 yen from Plathome
>www.plathome.co.jp/detail.html?scd=20921736
>and doesn't include paper documentation (except
>a few pages on the Wnn FEP which is bundled).
>
>All the English and Japanese documentation
>comes as PDF / HTML files on the disks.
>
>You can select the installation language
>as Japanese or English, and change the
>desktop language on the fly.
>
>The desktop is very convenient -- when the
>language is switched to Japanese, it defaults
>to English data entry;  you hit Ctrl-Space
>to pop up the FEP and enter Japanese.

The cost drop from Y15,000 to Y10,000 is certainly welcome!  I bought a
boxed set the other day and am in the middle of the familiarization
process right now (running it on a test machine).  So far so good with
the Japanese, but I'm having two problems.  One is that my KVM switch is
not remembering the settings (although it always has up until this
point) of the two SuSE machines (9.1 & 9.3) so every time I go from one
to the other I have to readjust the monitor....

The other thing is that Mozilla is insisting on being in blinding
painful stark white.  This hasn't been a problem before, so I'll try
downloading it and installing it in a local folder - which will
(hopefully) cure that intolerable fault (okay in the daylight, but
really horrible in the middle of the night).

Lyle