Re: [tlug] Japanese-language on SuSE

Keith R Mannisto wrote:

>I shipped my daughter a HP NX5000 SuSE (9.2) Notebook for her to use in
>Japan.  Before I shipped the system I loaded every package that had the
>word JAPANESE  in it (at least that is what I recall) with YaST.  But, my
>daughter has NOT been able to get the system to enter into a Japanese text
>entry mode.

A quick and easy solution would be to use one of the Japanese version
"live" CD's.  One might be available from a cheap magazine from a large
book store.

I've experienced both successful and unsuccessful installs of SuSE 9.1
(from the standpoint of being able to input Japanese).  The successful
attempts have been when I installed it in Japanese, and then set up
English and Japanese users.  I still (in spite of trying many
suggestions) have not been able to get English language installs of SuSE
to input Japanese however.  I can switch them over to Japanese menus,
but they remain mono-lingual for text input.  So - not an answer for
your current problem, but for anyone installing SuSE with the intent of
using both Japanese and English, I do recommend installing it in
Japanese first and foremost, as that solves the issue right at the start.

Note: My experience with this is with SuSE 9.1.  Yesterday I installed
SuSE 9.3 - in Japanese though, so I don't know if anything's changed.

Lyle