Re: [tlug] Newbie buying a computer and installing Linux on it

On 月曜日, 5 2, 2005, at 06:15 PM, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:

> Most CD drives have a very tiny hole that you can poke a straightened
> out paper clip into to manually release them. This has saved me on a
> couple of SuSE installations where the CD wouldn't come out for some
> reason. Look very closely at the front of the CD drive... wait... the
> Mac has just a slot, doesn't it! Hmmmmm Well, I'll stuff this into the
> wires anyway as it might be a good tip for someone.

Actually, there is a hole, but you can't see if from the outside.  I
think the Mac technician i took it to last time this happened got it to
come out that way.  He said the drive was not broken, but a CD got
stuck inside again within a few days after he fixed it.  He's just down
the street from me, so i'm going to go there again.  Maybe he'll take
it out for free for me, but that iMac has had a lot of trouble.  Did i
mention that the original hard drive burnt out right after the first
year was up, so that i couldn't send it in for free to be repaired?
And that one of the USB ports is broken?  And that the modem is broken?
  It's a mess, but i don't blame it on Apple actually.  It was the kids'
computer and they ran it at full speed with fancy graphics programs in
the middle of 40 plus temperatures in the humid summer, slamming on the
keyboard, probably spilling drinks into it.  It was really cheap and
served us well, but i don't see much hope for it.

Joe