Re: [tlug] A semi-related question

    Martin> On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 11:06:23PM +0900, Uva Coder
    Martin> wrote:

    >> Why don't you write your own license instead?

    Martin> please don't.

I agree, but you can't avoid consulting a lawyer that way.  You need
to consider whether the license does what you think it does (the LGPL
discussion shows that even rms can screw up badly), and whether it's
compatible with licenses of software you'd like your downstream users
to be able to combine your software with.

    Martin> it will make many people think twice about using your
    Martin> code.

That's always a good idea.  :-)  As Miles Bader's sig says, "99% of
everything is grunge" and code is no exception.  Most of the code I've
seen should never have been used by the author, let alone third
parties!  But I digress ....  You're right: if one is trying to
contribute open source, one should spend a corresponding amount of
effort on making sure the license is not an obstacle to reuse.