Re: [tlug] Re: Asterisk and ISDN

On Fri, 11 Mar 2005 15:34:40 +0100, Tobias Diedrich <ranma@example.com> wrote:
> Patrick Niessen wrote:
>
> > If it could be made to work with ISDN it would be great, as I am
> > looking for a cheap solution for our office (4 ISDN line = 8 parallel
> > conversations).  Unfortunately Japan is famous for using own
> > (incompatible) standards, so its not guaranteed that it works.
>
> Some googling suggests that the japanese Ins64-Protocol (Or
> InsNet64-Protocol) ist at least very similar to the EuroDSS1-Protocol.
>
> The isdn4linux-FAQ claims support for Japan whithout any special
> notes, so it really may work (A quick grep didn't show anything
> Ins64-Related).
>

> Specialized Hardware (4 ISDN BRIs on one Card and onboard ISDN power
> supply support) is apparently available from Beronet.

Tobias, any updates on your project? If you manage to get it to run
with the cheap card, I fancy ordering one to Japan to try it out.

Asterisks configuration really sucks, along with the documentation.
Clearly the people who are doing this come from the PBX world which is
similarly cryptic. The wiki demonstrates exactly how a Wiki can
contribute more to confuse rather than inform - how nice in comparison
the gentoo documentation.

I used the @example.com CD to try out the concept, only using SIP.  It looks
that the protocol is very difficult to handle for the firewall (ie.
which ports must be open).  Also even after a few days of trying I
manage to call out to PSTN via SIPGATE, but unfortunately it refuses
to receive calls... so far.

--
Patrick Niessen