Re: [tlug] registering a name server

On Wednesday March 23 2005 13:40, Ben Konrath wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-22-03 at 10:08 +0900, Thomas Savarimuthu wrote:
> > On Monday March 21 2005 15:15, Ben Konrath wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > I run a name server from my domain and when I try to use it as a
> > > dns for another domain name, I get an error. I googled around and
> > > found
> >
> > Please post the domain name and the error you get (when you try to
> > resolve the other domain queries through the same server) ?
>
> Let me clarify a little. I don't think the problem is with my bind
> setup because when I do "dig @example.com fitzsim.org" [1] it seems
> to work out. The problem comes when I try to add ns1.bagu.org to the
> primary name server field with fitzsim.org's registrar.
>
> fitzsim.org isn't my domain name so I don't have the error message
> handy right now (I'm in the process of tracking it down) but I was
> sitting it beside the guy when he entered it in. We emailed the
> support team at his registrar and they said it that the name server
> has to be registered (again i'm trying to get my fingers on a copy of
> the text they sent back).
I think i understand your situation.
I guess your domain registrar is NetworksSolutions (as per the whois
query). Network solutions will try to reverselookup the new host name
and get the IP address in case the host-name is not a host in the
domain you updating right now.

If the new host name is a host under the domain you are updating, it
will ask ask you to update the IP address in the next stage to make the
root name server entry.

So, please setup the zone file info for the domain "fitzsim.org" and
make sure that your name server (ns1.bagu.org) answer the queries with
the command (dig -t NS @example.com  fitzsim.org).

If the registrar still throws a error, try to pre-register the host name
in their host-handle database, so that the dns update tool will get the
IP address from the host-handle database.

> BTW, here is one of the references about registering a name server
> that I mentioned last email:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/techtalk@example.com/msg06535.html
Checkout this page to register the host
https://www.networksolutions.com/en_US/manage-it/manage-nameservers.jhtml