Re: [tlug] registering a name server

On Monday March 21 2005 15:15, Ben Konrath wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I run a name server from my domain and when I try to use it as a dns
> for another domain name, I get an error. I googled around and found
Please post the domain name and the error you get (when you try to
resolve the other domain queries through the same server) ?

Does the server have two eithernet/ip address? Make sure that you do not
deny the recursive queries in the configuration file for the clients
network from where you are tring to run the nslookup queries.
If you have "dig"  tools installed, try "dig @<dns server ip> <domain
name> and it should give a bit more detailed information

> some references indicating that new name servers have to be
> registered so that the root name servers know it exists. The problem
> is all these references point to a registering page on
> networksolutions.com that doesn't exits anymore. So my question is,
> do I actually have to register my name server. If so, how do I do it?

Please do not get confused with the terms "Authoritative Name Server for
a domain" and the DNS server used to resolve dns queries.

-Thomas