Re: [tlug] MPEG stream analyser?

On Tue, 2005-15-03 at 15:26 +0900, Lyle (Hiroshi) Saxon wrote:
> Have you tried going back and forth from Region-1 to Region-2 with it?
> My understanding is that since the firmware is what allows the switch,
> isn't that software independent?  Or is that firmware issue software
> induced?  I hope it *is* software induced, as then I'll not have to use
> two computers to handle both regions!

I've never switched the region of the drive - in fact I don't even know
how to do it because the first thing I did when I got my computer was
install linux over the windows partition and peel off the windows serial
number :) The way I understand it is that software which is licensed by
the dvd consortium to play dvds on a computer must obey the region code
of the drive. Since neither libdvdread or libdvdcss are licensed there
is no reason these libraries have to follow this rule. I think that the
libraries do print a warning about a region code mis-match when I use
Noth American discs (region 1?) but that's the only difference.

Cheers, Ben